Taking care of your children’s teeth is one of your most important jobs as a parent. Good oral health is linked to overall health, and developing the right habits starts early. Finding a great children’s dental office is an important step to making sure your child gets used to going to the dentist. The right pediatric dentist can help shape your child’s attitude towards dental visits for the rest of their life.
Questions to Ask of a Children’s Dental Office
A pediatric dentist is trained specifically to deal with the needs of growing children, from infants all the way up to teenagers. While a general dentist is more than qualified to handle your child’s teeth, a pediatric dentist had an additional two or three years of schooling. This extra education emphasized child psychology, growth, and development. When finding a good children’s dental office, ask the following questions:
- Does the dentist stay current with continuing education classes?
- Is the entire staff trained to work with children?
- Is the dentist a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics?
- Is the waiting room designed to entertain children and help put them at ease?
- Can parents stay with their child during treatment?
- Are they accepting new patients?
Questions to Ask Yourself After Your First Visit
After your first visit, it is important to decide if they were a good match for you and your child. If your child is old enough, you can ask them how they felt about the children’s dental office. After your first visit, ask yourself:
- Were you given information about how your child’s teeth are developing?
- Did the staff take the time to answer all of your questions? Your child’s questions?
- Were there age-appropriate distractions available for your child?
- Did the staff put your child at ease with their demeanor?
Communication between yourself and the dentist is key to ensuring your child has a good experience and healthy teeth for years to come. A good child’s dentist will take the time to answer all of your questions and put your mind at ease. They will do the same for your child. You should leave their office feeling like you have a good understanding of how your child’s teeth are developing and what to expect next.
If you are looking for a new children’s dental office, contact us today to set up your first appointment. We strive to create the best environment possible for your family and look forward to serving you and your child’s needs. Ashburn Children’s Dentistry is conveniently located in Ashburn, VA.